Sunday, October 28, 2012

7th out of 80. not the worst.

 

 Saturday I ran the Runawaybride 10k in St. George Utah. On Thursday I was having extreme panic, Leah and I went running, and she calmed me down. Something about running with your best friend, and catching up, eases the mind.

When Mark and I arrived at the Lauren James bridal store in Bloomington, my nerves were still kind of high; the race last year was pretty small. Maybe 24 people total. I felt a lot of pressure.

Questions galore in my head, none of which I had answers too.

What was the girl’s time from last year?

How many people will run this year?

What will the course be like?

How many crazy fast girls will there be? Or will I be really fast compared to them?

Other things, like I was alone. No team at this point, except of course my number one fan Mark, and my aunt and uncle cheering me on.

This fear was also associated with the four weeks of training I had.

Eventually our turn to get our packet came, and we sat down with the lady, who explained the course to us, and outlined it so we could drive it.

I asked her all my questions, and she was very helpful.

The girl who won last year ran in 38 minutes, and was a junior in high school... she wasn't running this year.

Ok, I thought. That’s good ha.

There were about 80 people running the 10k this year.

And that’s when my nerves calmed down. Pressure removed. I felt calm all the sudden. Chances are, I wouldn't be able to win. But I could still do well, and have fun.

Race day came, teams gathered together and I jogged around in layers of clothing, it was cold outside. Not as cold as Provo. I haven't been running in the cold, not in that kind of cold.

I found out I had a team member assigned to me, I never saw her, but I did get her award after. She won me 100 dollars off wedding invitations!

Five minutes before the race, we line up and take a picture. I strip off all my warm ups and give them to Mark, he is freezing also ha.

The blow horn is blown. We are off

And just like in cross country the top girls go out, super-fast, I stay with them for about a mile.

Then fall behind, two girls wearing spandex shorts take the lead, they are wearing SUU track and field shirts.

Go figures. If only my running friend could have won it for me... oh well.

Push on. I am in 7th. No one is around me, and I’m running and feeling miserable,

But I kept trying to catch runner number six.

I didn't win a dress. I didn't know what I would win, or if I would. Remember I keep thinking, every step brings me closer to the end, every step is a little less than a mile. I feel like my legs are going slower, and my lungs are pumping air faster.

I see the finish line, finally. Pushing it, feels like I’m going so slow.

I cross and feel like I’m going to puke. 

And declare I’m out of shape, people laugh, and say I wish that was my out of shape!

I’m thinking that if I had more time I would have done better, and the cold weather didn't help. My lungs hurt, my right leg aches, and I am happy to be done.
the race is over, no more worrying about running when Its cold and i'd rather be at the gym.
We finally go get in line to see if we won anything.

7th place gets me an 800 dollar discount off of Gideon photography, and a free engagement session! (He does the photos in the Utah bride magazines, an amazing photographer!)

Plus the 100 dollars off wedding invites my team mate got me.

I am so happy!!! My time was decent too.

I feel accomplished, and am content to be there in the cold. Amazed at what my body continues to allow me to do, and thinking that I just don't have the time or energy these days to train like I did in high school.

Half Marathons are definitely my race. That and Ragnar, I’m a runner who runs for fun now, and to beat personal times. Every race it’s exhausting, and I’m beat, but it’s always worth the pain.

But so rewarding, and this time I saved some money on an amazing photographer.

They do the raffle. I win the softest blanket I’ve ever felt; I keep declaring to Mark that “this blanket is my favoritest blanket in the world! It’s so soft. The blanket alone is worth the run!” I also won some towels, and a foot massager.

This has been a good trip.

After that Mark and I drove the two hours to VIVA LAS VEGAS to see the Body world’s exhibit they have there. It was very interesting. I would recommend going to see this exhibit to anyone. As long as you can stomach it.

All and all it was a good trip, and I'm so happy I won something for my efforts.

We also decided on a reception center too. Yay us!

Only four months left... ha.


 


1 comment:

  1. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU TOMORROW! I already miss you and I want to hear this in person! I liked the part where you talked about me. :) Wish I could have ran with you there! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete